About Me

My photo
Joyfully married May 15, 2010, living in Troy, AL, Engineer and Pharmacist, "parents" of sweet puppy Gidget...

Friday, January 7, 2011

Hunting Season

Randolph came home from work 2 days ago to discover that I had started a blog...which he proceeded to read. I'm guessing that is how he will also find out about this blog post:)

As many in the South know, it is hunting season. I am a retail pharmacist which means that I work weekends - every other to be exact. This leaves Gidget and I time to curl up by the fire, watch girlie shows (Private Practice, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy....need I say more) and now, BLOG while R is in the woods tracking our dinner! I don't really know what to write about so I'm sorry if this is a little random. I was originally terrified of the thought of staying in our new (larger than apartment sized) house but Gidget has become a grand bed buddy when R is out of town :) Don't worry, she has in no way replaced him - ha. So, as the pup and I sit by the fire pondering the year ahead here are some thoughts...

1. We now have a treadmill so 2011 is bound to be a healthier year for us both! We have already started the year with great, fresh, healthy meals (for the most part)
2. I have read a wonderful book for newly married wives, as well as not so newly married ones. It was a wedding gift from Sarah Skipper and has been very insightful for me. It is called "Creative Counterpart" by Linda Dillow and it is very inspiring, but also very realistic. I have enjoyed it and learned from it and I hope it has in some way helped me become a better wife (even though I'm sure R would say I couldn't get any better :)- and he is of course the perfect husband (no book necessary) :)
3. Work - my job is trying at times and often super busy and stressful...however, I hope that I am impacting at least some lives in a positive way. It has been a great way to meet people in this new (and now, very homey) town and make new friends. I have also already learned at least as much in the past few months as in 4 years of pharmacy school. Sorry HSOP :)I really do love what I do even if, some days, I don't love my job.
4. I am joining the Episcopal church and faith thanks to R and the Miller/Smith family, and with my Baptist minister father's blessing. As I study the history of the church and Christianity in general I am learning so much about a faith I have known all my life. It is so interesting to learn where traditions and beliefs developed and evolved. It is nice to take a new look at such a familiar part of my life (Shout out here to Jim and Sharon for the Book of Common Prayer I got for Christmas!)
5. Puppies - Gidget is SUCH a joy in our life! We debated forever whether to get a puppy and now we can't imagine not having the little furry member of our family! We love her and if you have the time and means to care for them I encourage you to get a pup! :)

OK, those may have been the most random points in the history of blogging but they are all pertinent to our life right now. I know that some of you like a play by play so this is at least a summary-ha.
After an amazing, crazy, busy, fun holiday season with all of our family it is nice to sit, relax and reflect on the year behind and ahead. Last year was so amazing, but I think we may try to top it in 2011 (although I haven't figured out why yet).

Well, I do have to work tomorrow so that is all for now! Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. YAY Laura Allyson! GREAT to see you have started a blog! I have been blogging for a few years now & LOVE it! :) Great way to keep in touch w/ people. Glad yall are doing well & enjoying newlywed life! Stop in & read my blog any time (I'm adding yours to my google reader)

    www.erinkennemer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yay for a treadmill!
    2. I don't need the book now, but remind me of the title when I get hitched in...mmm, about 35 years.
    3. I feel the same way about teaching. I learned more "on the job" than I ever did in college.
    4. I am SO excited about this turn of events!! Good for you. Can't wait to hear more about it.
    5. I can't wait to meet sweet Gidget :)

    I love that you're a blogger now and I can stalk you with relative ease. Keep it up...you're wonderful! XO, JJ

    ReplyDelete